// October 5th, 2011 // 5 Comments » // Book Review Club, Kid Lit Authors Club, News, young adult literature
The first Wednesday of the month means another edition of The Book Review Club hosted by Barrie Summy, author of the I So Don’t Do Mysteries series. Today, I’m featuring two fabulous young adult novels about popularity by two amazing authors – Amy Holder’s The Lipstick Laws and Alissa Grosso’s Popular.
Not only are Amy and Alissa super talented authors, but they’re both super sweet and super fun. I was lucky to spend time with both ladies (along with other amazing authors, Ellen Jensen Abbott and Cyn Balog) at the Collingswood Book Festival this Saturday. Check out the shades.
Three reasons why I loved Amy Holder’s The Lipstick Laws…
1. Humor – The Lipstick Laws is bursting with unforgettable one-liners. And Amy is just as funny in person as she is on the page.
2. Characters – From mean girls to wannabe queen bees, the characters were fun, feisty, and fabulous.
3. Voice – Amy’s fun voice is full of energy and she keeps the pages turning. By the time I was finished with The Lipstick Laws, my abdominal muscles ached from too much giggling.
Three reasons why I loved Alissa Grosso’s Popular…
1. Unique concept – Each chapter is told in the point of view of a different character. And Alissa pulls off this tough writing task with ease.
2. Uncommon characters – Speaking of characters, Alissa does an amazing job making each one memorable.
3. Unforgettable Ending – I will never, ever forget the twisty ending of Popular. And I’m not the only one.
Both Alissa and Amy’s novels tackle teenage popularity in their own unique and incredible way. If you haven’t read these goodies by this talented twosome, make sure you add Popular and The Lipstick Laws to your TBR pile ASAP.
For more middle grade, young adult, and adult book reviews and recommendations, click here.
Disclosure: I often receive ARCs and/or books for reviews (sometimes because I’m an author and other times because I beg). However, I do not blog about every book I receive, only the ones I absolutely adore or feel the need to recommend to fans of sporty lit.